Tudor Treasure Trail KS1/KS2
Students will gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world as they step back in time and discover what life was like during Tudor times. Our costumed guides will recreate the excitement and preparations surrounding Elizabeth I’s visit to Knebworth in 1571, as you explore both the House and the Gardens.
This active day will enhance your children’s understanding of Tudor times. It will develop your pupils’ chronological understanding, their knowledge of local history, as well as their understanding of Britain and its significant historical characters.
What the day will involve
You will spend the morning in the House and the afternoon exploring the Park.
10.00 Arrive and met by Knebworth staff and shown facilities. Taken to the House and introduced to costumed Tudor guides.
10.15 – 12.00 In the House: Using simple props and pieces of costume pupils will create a ‘living time line’, setting the scene for the day.
Classes will then divide into smaller groups to explore the House with a costumed guide who will lead the hands-on activities in the different rooms they visit. Activities include:
- Tudor Costumes – a chance to dress up!
- Tudor writing and education – try writing with a quill pen
- Coats of Arms – find out more in our impressive Armoury
- Tudor musical instruments and dances – become a minstrel
- In the Queen Elizabeth room – prepare for the Queen’s arrival
All return to the main Hall for a final celebration.
12.00 – 1.00 pm Lunch – picnic tables provided for an outdoor lunch at the Barns. It is not a covered area, so please be prepared for every type of weather!
1.00– 2.15 pm In the Garden: Using maps and a simple self-guided trail, groups will explore the plants in the Formal Garden and talk to staff in the Walled Garden to discover what Tudors would have liked to eat and drink. As they explore they will collect clues and tokens to help them with final preparations for Queen Elizabeth’s visit. Each school is presented with a congratulatory scroll to take away.
Departure time is flexible to suit your travel arrangements.
Alternative afternoon activity: From June – August Knebworth’s Adventure Playground is available for an afternoon of active play. Please advise when booking if you would like to use the bouncy castle and our fantastic drop and Astro slides (height restrictions apply). Your coach will take you through the Deer Park to the Adventure Playground where there are covered picnic shelters for lunch.
- Gift Shop: There is time to visit the Gift Shop at lunchtime. There is a good selection of ‘pocket-money’ souvenirs. Alternatively we can make up pre-paid Tudor themed goody bags at various price points. Please discuss when booking.
- Clothing and footwear: picnic tables at the Barns and the Garden Trail activities are outside and so ensure pupils have suitable clothing for all weather so you can enjoy your day.
- Refreshments: if visiting on a ‘closed day’ or at Adventure playground for lunch, please be aware there are no facilities to purchase hot drinks or food.
- Free pre-booked familiarisation visits: Available for up to 2 members of teaching staff, to support you completing your trip Risk Assessment. Visits, Monday – Friday 9.30 – 4.00 pm excluding weekends and bank holidays.
- Visit cost: £11.50 per pupil.1 Free adult with every 8 pupils.